March 5, 2017
Doughnut Party is one party that you’ll want to stop by. The creators behind Moonshine Doughnuts, those cake-like doughnuts you’ve seen at local pop-ups and farmers markets, have officially opened up a brick & mortar shop! The word spreads quick because if you follow them on Instagram, you’ll know that they usually sell out in the afternoon. The party takes place in Holland Plaza, which is one of my new favourite parts in the city. Where else can you find doughnuts, brunch, meditation, and escape rooms all in one area?
Similar to Moonshine, the doughnuts here are vegan. The only difference between the two is that these party doughnuts are deep-fried! You won’t get any odd vegan taste in your mouth from these doughnuts. They’re delicious, fluffy, non-greasy, and larger than your average doughnut. The doughnuts are freshly made every morning with six flavours a day. Flavours change daily, with some popular ones being repeated during the week. Pricing wise, it’s $3 for one, $16 for half a dozen, and $30 for a dozen (perfect for sharing!).
During my visit, I decided to share half a dozen with my friend. We bought one of each flavour that was offered that day.
– Cherry fritter: heavy glazing with bits of cherries. There was a bit too much glazing for my taste.
– S’mores: chocolate frosting with graham crackers crumbs & a toasted marshmallow. The dream dessert doughnut, especially if you love chocolate.
– Birthday cake: vanilla frosting with sprinkles of birthday cake pieces. This seemed to be the favourite one among my friends. I found it to be more similar to a cake and it was very sweet.
– Strawberry chipotle: light strawberry glazing with hints of chipotle. My personal favourite. It reminded me of a fresh strawberry smoothie in a doughtnut form.
– Raspberry: raspberry glazing. Simple and tarty.
– Fruit punch sugar: covered in fruit punch flavoured sugar. Had an oddly sweet taste that grew on me with every bite. I’m not the biggest fan of sugar doughnuts, though.
It’s always nice to see local businesses thrive! The party starts early so don’t snooze if you don’t want to miss out. It’s open until sold out.
10938 118 Street
Tues – Fri: 8 am – 1:30 pm
Sat: 9 am – 2 pm